Friday, October 30, 2009

Head full of candy bags Costume shops and punks in drag

I want to talk about Halloween. You know it was originally that on October 31, the spirits of the dead came back, and people wore costumes to disguise themselves against the harmful spirits. Now, it's just an excuse for little kids to dress up as fairies or princesses or ghosts or characters from movies--or an excuse for the older crowd to have huge parties. And don't get me wrong. I rather like dressing up, assuming another identity, and I am not at all against this. But isn't it ironic that barely anyone ever dresses up as something scary any longer? And if they do, it's usually a mask or store-bought costume that some company tells them is the definition of scary. This is what I'm being for Halloween: A zombie goth ragdoll.
The picture is something storebought, I know, but it's only my inspiration. I spent about an hour and a half weaving my hair with black and red yarn, to create a stunning effect, and put together a bunch of clothes (fishnets, yay!) and finally modeled my makeup on the picture, and was so incredibly happy with the result. I love halloween and dressing up, but I'm also a procrastinator, so I usually never actually get around t being much more than a witch. (been that like seven times.) Remember I was love last year? The blog had only just started, huh? Wow that's some bad writing from back then. Anyway, I feel accomplished.

But back to actual halloween. Did you know that the word come from All Hallow's Evening, that was shortened to even, which was then e'en, which is halloween. Cool, huh? I think that everyone should dress up on Halloween, but also that everyone who dresses up should have to make their own costume. You go to school or enter a competition, and the costume that wins is never the mask or storebought, packaged idea. It's the one which looks homemade yet still very very cool. It makes everyone happier to make it themselves, that's what I think. And why do so many people dress up? Because no matter how "dorky" some people might proclaim it, it's so fun and refreshing to dress up as someone else, something else. to be able to shed your own skin and personality, and by hiding behind a mask you come out as someone different. By hiding, you can show a different part of yourself that You wouldn't normally. And I think somany people want and desperately need that. To be, for one night, ghouly and creepy and scary and screamy--That's what the world needs, they need sometime to just scream out loud, to let it all out. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but one of my favorite parts of the Marriage Equality Rally was being able to just let it all out. People around me chanted and screamed and yelled and cheered and I just opened my mouth and cheered as loud as I could, and I felt as if I had blown dust from the depths of my lungs, as if that last old bit of air had finally been cleared, and I could feel the old dirty empty spaces filling with joy, happiness, unity, peace. We all just need time to express ourselves in the most animal of ways. Happy Halloween, everyone.
Title Quote: Ryan Adams, Halloweenhead

No comments:

Where did it go?