Monday, November 30, 2009

He's a man you must believe Helping anyone in need

Recently, I have been forced to really think a lot about the future. What high school you go to can determine the college you go to which can shape the job and life you end up with. And I was really thinking, what do I want o be when I grow up? When people ask, I often tell them I want to be a flying, fire breathing purple dragon, but somehow, I have the feeling that that might just not work out.

So what do I really want to do? Who do I want to be when I grow up? I;m not so sure, which is just fine for a teenager. But I do know something: Whatever it is I want to be, I want to make an impact, I want to make a difference in the world. I want to make people's lives better, make them smile, bring them justice. I want to make a difference, but not really one where it's like me on tv, being famous, a difference as in the world knows who I am. I don't mind if my difference is fairly nameless, as long as it really does change something. I'm not sure what I'm getting at, or how to phrase it. Even if it's only one person's life, I want to be able to make it better. What I want is to make a really profound difference in someone's life, hopefully the world. Sitting in a cubicle office job transcribing papers doesn't cut it for me. I mean, I know the people in that position (or most of them) don't want to be where they are, and don't have much of a better option, but I don't even want to get there in the first place.

I'm thinking maybe I'll be a lawyer. I come from a family of lawyers, and I'm pretty logical, and like to argue, and I don't know, I could be making history, you know? But I don't want to be the "stereotypical" lawyer, corrupt and putting the wrong people in jail and then spending the rest of my days playing golf. No, I was thinking maybe something not-for-profit, where I could help people's live, give them the justice they deserve but can't get otherwise. Like making sure that special ed students get an equal opportunity in schools, or helping to get gay equality like marriage, or something like that. Getting women in Africa the education, healthcare, treatment they deserve. Getting that everywhere. To know that I had made someone's life that much better, would make me so happy. It would motivate me.

So, that's it. I want to help the world, I want to DO something. Hey, maybe not even when I grow up! Maybe even now! Or one day soon...


Title Quote: The Beatles, Doctor Robert

No comments:

Where did it go?