Thursday, November 19, 2009

I felt a little fear upon my back He said "Don't look back, just keep on walking."

So last weekend, I got some henna done. I know, not the coolest thing in the world, but still. I really appreciate art, and I never cease to be amazed at this certain art form, being able to literally wear intricate art designs on your hand/ body, watch it move and twist as you. Tattoos, too, but these are better, Especially since it is something sort of in a way much more common yet much more rare, as it is freehand, and can only really be done once, yet stays on for only a few weeks, and then vanishes with the rest of your old skin particles rubbed off. Here are some pictures of my current one (sorry for the bad lighting!)
The woman who did was from Pakistan, and had been doing her job for about 5 years. She asked me where I was from, and though all I said was New York, she kept on persisting,asking where my parents were from (new york). She must have though I was Pakistani or Indian. Which is very funny, since I'm kind of the opposite (eastern european jew). She was surprised at the fact I was even carrying on a conversation with her, and then she became pretty astonished when I talked about Henna so knowledgeably. I guess most of the people she does are ignorant americans, but I know a fair amount about it, having just done a school project on it and having done at home myself a few times. I encourage you to try some henna; if you haven't already. Each time you look at it, you smile, a little painting on your skin. It can go anywhere on your body, and, like I said, lasts a few weeks. If you want it to look the way mine does, go somewhere professional. It doesn't hurt in the least. They basically jsut paint a stain on you. If you want to do something yourself, just find a place near you that sells henna or order it online (it comes in dried green powder form) and then mix it with some water, something acidic (lemon juice works best) and essential oils, adding parts until you get the right mixture, smooth and thick, but not too thick to be unable to paint, and not runny so it pools everywhere. Then put it in a squeeze bottle, or, for better accuracy, a cone (you can buy these where you bought the henna) and draw! Wait for it to dry, about 30 mins, then wait a few hours longer before rubbing it off, revealing a stain beneath. The longer you keep it onl teh darker it gets.
Have fun!
love,
Lola

Title Quote: KT Tunstall, Black Horse and a Cherry Tree


Where did it go?