Friday, May 29, 2009

Some of the worst songs get righted on three chords

I think I am addicted. I think I am addicted to music. I carry my tunes in a thin box mp3 player and it is always calling to me from the depths of my pocket. I'm still trying to figure out if this addiction is a good thing or a bad one. It sharpens my reality, it heightens my awareness. When I'm alone, I'll just put on some music. I'll sing if there are words, if I know them, if I want to. I feel my blood being calmed or boiled by the melodies. I walk differently, I think differently. With music, I can wipe away a bad day, or I can cleanse myself in sorrow. It can be the music I carry in my pocket, or the music I carry in my head. I've always listened close to the lyrics, always wondered how it was formed. Unless I've written it. I am besotted with music, we might even say.
I mean really, all my titles are song lyrics! Sometimes I think in them. My folders at school are covered in words, lyrics that flow from my pen, because if I did not let them out, they would bounce around in my head all day. Ear worms, I call them. Those songs that get stuck in your head and you can't possibly get them out? I write them on my folders, and then they're free again. I want to get plain white canvas shoes or a backpack and just write lyrics all over them, so I could walk around wearing songs. Whenever I have the chance, I listen to music.

On the bus, walking someplace, sitting at home--I listen listen listen. ANd the days I forget to bring my mp3 player with me, I feel like I've lost something very dear, I miss it all the time.
Is this normal? Are you addicted? Because I certainly am.

Title Quote: Beth Orton, Love Like Laughter

2 comments:

Persephone said...

yeah, i feel the EXACT same way about:
a) clothing
b) eddie izzard.
when im dressed in something boring and ordinary, i feel incomplete and missing.
i constantly make references to obscure eddie izzard jokes.
you are not alone.

Mountain Spirit said...

ah dang u dont know how addicted i am 2 music. if i dont have my ipod to listen 2 b4 school, i probably wont GO to school. i HAV to listen to music on the way home, and as i brush my hair.
and if drumming counts as music, you should know what that means for me. :D

Where did it go?