Monday, May 18, 2009

And suppose I never met you

Alright, so we meet again, huh?
Well, here we go, I want to present to you some characters seen while at Punta Cana...
(all are real, none are figment of my imagination. Ha! fig...)
Today, I want to talk about Maya.
Dominican, 20-something-ish, she's hard to describe. Words can't really capture her, she's that sort of person. Long brown hair that on anyone else would be described as a mousy color, with streaks of orange blonde bleached by the sun. Her hair falls to just below her shoulder blades in cascades of uneven waves, and every time we have glimpsed her walking on the beach there is a straw cowboy hat atop her head. She always wears a slim white polo shirt with sleeves that end just below the muscles of her upper arms and hug them close. Her shorts are always shirt but not buttcrack short, like most of the other girls at the beach. They end halfway to her knees, the perfect length. No matter what she is wearing, she always has a big black digital camera hanging around her neck, which my father tells me is called a DSLR. This is her normal dress, her uniform. It changes a little from day to day, but the fundamentals stay the same. For instance, when I first saw her she was wearing denim cutoffs, and around her waist was slung a flat hemp belt with a pouch on each side, extra pockets, and I think you all know by now how much I value pockets. I have since fallen in love with the ingenuity of this particular invention, and want one of my own. Another day she wore greenish twill shorts and a beautiful fire colored tasseled scarf that hung from her shoulders and talked in the breeze.  She was such an intriguing figure, slim, short, her tanned limbs weaving through the air. With a slight accent, she was decidedly foreign, yet when she turned her back to me I was reminded of someone I knew, though I could not remember who. 
Maya worked for the resort we were at, photographing whatever tourist would pay for it, posing them on the sand, occasionally flinging her hat haphazardly on their heads, laughing at their bad jokes. She was ever so interesting, I believe I envied her and her natural sauveness, her beauty that seemed to not even be there, as it is with a tree. And I thought that I would try to put her here in words, because maybe you know someone like her, maybe you would benefit from her image, whatever she looks like to you. Anyway, I just wanted to say,
Goodbye, Maya.
Live well.


Title Quote: Regina Spektor, Fidelity


No comments:

Where did it go?