Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I hear her voice In the mornin hour she calls me

Oh, what I would give to be a cat. Not a fat cat, who all her owner does is pamper her and feed her and pretend she's her baby. Nor a skinny to the bone cat, whose owner kicks her and shouts at her and uses her as a stress ball and never feeds her. Nor would I like to be an alley cat, alone. But what I would give, at some moments, to be a cat. A cat who was fed just enough and lived in the country, and was allowed to come and go when she pleased, a cat who always had someone there to half absent-mindedly rub her belly, but wasn't always after her, screaming and catching her tail so she would sit on her owner's lap. And then, as that cat, I would make a deep purrrrrrr of happiness. I wish humans could purr like cats can. It would release so much contentedness into the world. And did you know that certain purrs can help heal cats? I know, a bit off topic, but seriously, what other animal can make a noise that literally makes them better?
So where was I? Oh, yes, I would purr with joy, the noise running straight up my throat and finding it's way straight to my owner's heart. Then I would pad off and find a nice warm sunbeam and stretch out and nap and warm my fur. And at night, I would find my owner's head or feet and curl right up on them and sleep right there. When I (as a human) go someplace with cats, they are always attracted to me. When I stay over the night, I often find them, a reassuring warm weight, curled up on me. One of my most favorite things is to read a book and feel that reassuring weight purr on my lap. And I love that cats couldn't care less, that they do what they want, and when they want to. Not all of them in a spoiled sense. Just in a disinterested in the consequences sense. And I appreciate that. To not have to worry about how you act... what you look like... If I believed in reincarnation, I would most definitely wish to be a cat. And sometimes I do stretch out on the floor and soak up the sunlight. Sometimes I do place my head in someone's lap and feel them play with my hair.
But it's just not the same.

TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS WHAT ANIMAL YOU WOULD BE IF YOU COULD CHOOSE?
Title Quote: Country Roads, John Denver

2 comments:

Mountain Spirit said...

yes uve put ur head in my lap on many springtime occasions :D
i think you would make an adorable cat!!!!!

Persephone said...

i like being a human, but i would love to be a dog. they know how to have fun.
"cats show us that not everything in nature has a purpose."
-garrison keilor

Where did it go?