Saturday, October 25, 2008

so I quit the police department, got myself a steady job

Last weekend, my family and I went out to the Queens Flushing Mall(we live in Manhattan). It is the most amazing place. Once you're in there, it's like you've gone to China. If someone blindfolded me and drove me around for a while and told me I was in another country, save for the Starbucks around the corner. I have never been so relieved to see a Starbucks in my life. So you get into the mall, and immediately you are met with an enormous bridal shop. You walk up this twisty-turny staircase with glass walls, and you are on a balcony, over looking the food court. When you go to the bathroom, there are signs telling you not to vomit in the sinks, please. Seriously! Then there is this wonderful little chinese food store that has all sorts of strange ingredients that my dad felt he must buy though who knows when he will use them. And past that is... Toyqube! It's part of a whole not-so-underground-any-longer vinyl toy thing, that started with the japanese, like so many other things. There are other little toys to be gotten, at places like strangekiss or kidrobot. But, going on, we come to the food!
There is a man pulling noodles--he takes a lump of dough and stretches it, folds
it over, stretches, folds over, and twirls, till there are lots over very long strands of noodles, which he then plops into a ginormous vat of soup. omg, delicious! Then fried dough sticks--literally, that's all they are, no sugar or anything! and then the bean fish. these soft cookie things in the shapes of fish with this sweet bean paste in the middle. to die for! And, if you think it can't get better, there is also a 99 cents store, where everything is actually 99 cents! A miracle!

Title Quote: The Beatles, She came in through the bathroom window

Where did it go?